How to wash and care for your synthetic wig
Periodically cleaning your wig every 4-8 weeks or after wearing your wig 8-12 times - though this can vary based on your activities, natural hair, etc. Washing and caring for your wig is relatively easy, but it must be done properly in order to prolong the life of your wig.
You may need a few items for washing your wig:
- Wig Shampoo - we recommend you use special synthetic wig shampoo if possible, but generally any gentle shampoo should do the trick.
- Wig Conditioner - again, we recommend using conditioner specifically formulated for synthetic fibers, wash out or spray on conditioner may be used.
- Wig comb or brush - specially designed for brushing wigs, the bristles avoid damaging the hair. A wide-toothed comb will also work.
How to wash your wig...
- Brush the wig - brush out any tangles and knots before wetting the wig. Never brush a synthetic wig while it is wet. Work gradually from the ends using a wig comb or wide tooth comb.
- Shampoo - using cool water, get the hair piece wet. Apply a small amount of wig shampoo and rub into the hair and wig cap gently.
- Rinse - carefully rinse the wig using cold water, with the water flowing in the same direction as the hair (from root to tip) to avoid tangling.
- Condition - apply a small amount of wig conditioner and apply in the same direction as the hair, rinse the same as previously. Alternatively, apply conditioning spray.
- Dry - gently pat and press the wig with a soft towel to remove excess water, do NOT wring or twist the hair. Using a hair dryer is not recommended. Avoid direct sunlight to prevent color fading. Allow the wig to air dry, preferably on a wig stand.